October 15th through December 7th is an important time for seniors. Open enrollment for Medicare and Part D prescription coverage allows you to shop around for plans that may be a better fit for your personal needs. At ISA we specialize in Medicare Supplement plans, sometimes called “Medigap,” and Part D coverage. This combination along with original Medicare Parts A and B allows for greater freedom when traveling, less provider limitations and a Medicare Supplement plans can help pay for some of the health care costs that Medicare doesn’t cover.
Open Enrollment Period for Medigap Plans / Medicare Supplements Plans
Medigap insurance companies are generally allowed to use medical underwriting to decide whether to accept your application and how much to charge you for the Medigap policy. However, even if you have health problems, during your Medigap open enrollment period you can buy any policy the company sells for the same price as people with good health.
Each year, you can make changes to your Medicare Advantage or Medicare prescription drug coverage for the following year. There are 2 separate enrollment periods each year:
What can I do?
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn’t offer drug coverage.
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare drug plan to another Medicare drug plan.
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely.
What can I do?
- If you’re in a Medicare Advantage Plan (with or without drug coverage), you can switch to another Medicare Advantage Plan (with or without drug coverage).
- You can drop your Medicare Advantage Plan and return to Original Medicare. You’ll also be able to join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
What can’t I do?
- Switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan if you’re in Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another if you’re in Original Medicare.
A federal government website managed and paid for by the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
If you would like to see what ISA can do to assist you, please reach out to our in-house licensed Medicare agent, Debra Sale.